Monday, June 25, 2007

Aging Addendum

So, I've written about the time when the verb "google" entered my daughter's vernacular. Now, this past weekend, I went to a mall for the first time in a long time. I'm not fond of mall culture. The pretty girls and the prettier boys remind me of my lack of fashion fusion.

And let me say this: I turn 32 in less than a month.

I feel much older, perhaps, because I work with youth. It's interesting, you know, to compare my teenage years with the actions of today's youth.

But back to the story. I went in foot locker. I loved this store when I was sixteen, and that's probably one of the last times I was in there. It's difficult to describe what I was thinking in the midst of rambunctious kids, baggy pants, sports jerseys, and rap music.

I guess there's no other way of saying it, I felt old. I felt disconnected from popular culture. I became "them." I became "they."